My family is using this green and natural tooth paste since past 6 month and we are seeing drastic positive changes in our oral hygiene. I have suggested this paste to my friends and family members, and feedbacks are positive. After doing thoughtful research (online and offline) I found mentioned below information which might be of your interest:-
Most Off-the-shelf toothpastes contain a laundry list of chemicals, toxic additives, detergents and even sweeteners. Warning labels on toothpaste say “Keep out of reach of children under the age of six”. The same warning shows up on baby toothpaste, and they don’t even have the ability to spit it out like older children do.
Ingredient #1: Propylene glycol. This is a solvent that is the main component in antifreeze and is used in toothpaste and mouthwash. 45% of propylene glycol produced is used as chemical feedstock for the production of unsaturated polyester resins. In this regard, propylene glycol reacts with a mixture of unsaturated maleic anhydride and isophthalic acid to give a copolymer. This partially unsaturated polymer undergoes further crosslinking to yield thermoset plastics. Related to this application, propylene glycol reacts with propylene oxide to give oligomers and polymers that are used to produce polyurethanes.
Research has suggested that individuals who cannot tolerate propylene glycol probably experience a special form of irritation, but that they only rarely develop allergic contact dermatitis. Other investigators believe that the incidence of allergic contact dermatitis to propylene glycol may be greater than 2% in patients with eczema.
Patients with vulvodynia and interstitial cystitis may be especially sensitive to propylene glycol. Women suffering with yeast infections may also notice that some OTC creams can cause intense burning. Post menopausal women who require the use of an estrogen cream may notice that brand name creams made with propylene glycol often create extreme, uncomfortable burning along the vulva and perianal area.
A Swedish study published in 2010 strongly suggests a connection between airborne concentrations of propylene glycol in houses and development of asthma and allergic reactions, such as rhinitis, in children. Read More: A Guide to Glycols – http://bit.ly/11J8RaY
Ingredient #2: Fluoride. Fluoride is a toxic chemical that can be potentially toxic if ingested in high quantities, so why would anybody want to ingest it in small quantities? Fluoride has also shown to create gum pockets. Just one tube of toothpaste contains enough fluoride to kill a small child. Poison control must be called if a child eats more toothpaste then what he can put on his brush.
Ingredient #3: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: This is a cleaning agent that creates lather and is mostly used in soaps and detergents however it is also in toothpaste. While it is not considered toxic by the FDA it is known to cause microscopic tears in our mouth that lead to canker sores as well as disrupting the protein in cells causing the membranes to absorb the chemical into the blood stream.
Ingredient #4: Chlorine Titanium dioxide: this is an industrial bleach used for making your toothpaste white. Titanium dioxide is incompatible with strong reducing agents and strong acids.Violent or incandescent reactions occur with molten metals that are very electropositive, e.g. aluminium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc and lithium. Titanium dioxide accounts for 70% of the total production volume of pigments worldwide. It is widely used to provide whiteness and opacity to products such as paints, plastics, papers, inks, foods, and toothpastes. It is also used in cosmetic and skin care products, and it is present in almost every sunblock, where it helps protect the skin from ultraviolet light. Many sunscreens use nanoparticle titanium dioxide (along with nanoparticle zinc oxide) which, despite reports of potential health risks, is not actually absorbed through the skin.Other effects of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on human health are not well understood.Nevertheless, allergy to topical application has been confirmed. Read More: http://bit.ly/kh1279
Ingredient #5: Glycerin – Vegetable based glycerin is the base for many liquid soaps and on the body isn’t as much as a problem, however, in the mouth, glycerin creates a coat or film that won’t rinse away. Many natural dentists say this glycerin film on teeth can prevent the teeth from being able to remineralize thereby weakening the teeth.
What makes this earth paste different?
Earthpaste delivers all the benefits you expect from toothpaste without any chemicals or unnatural additives. You’ll see the difference on your and feel the difference in your mouth from the first use.
- No fluoride
- No propylene glycol
- No sodium lauryl sulfate
- No chlorine dioxide
- No glycerine
Xylitol – used to help flavour the paste but it also helps to prevent tooth decay. Health Benefit of Xylitol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol#Health_benefits
Food grade Redmond Clay – a non-abrasive polishing cleanser with antibacterial properties that has been used for centuries to promote health.
Sea Salt – enhances the flavor and also lends to the antibacterial properties associated with salt
Tea Tree Oil – a natural essential oil with anti-viral, anti-fungal properties.
Peppermint, Menthol, Cinnamon – essential oils used for flavouring and also promote fresh breath and a healthy immune system.
This toothpaste always leaves your mouth and gums feeling tingly and fresh. You can eat the whole tub and won’t need to call poison control! Use it on your children and feel rest assured that you are not causing any harm.
Facts and Information:-
- What is toothpaste MADE of? http://totalhealthmagazine.com/articles/dental-health/what-is-toothpaste-made-of.html
- Health Warning – Fluoride Toothpaste Dangerous – Facts Analysis – http://www.hoaxorfact.com/Health/health-warning-fluoride-toothpaste-dangerous.html
- Top 10 Dangers of Fluoride http://www.cheeseslave.com/top-10-dangers-of-fluoride/
- The Dangers of Fluoride in Toothpaste? – http://undergroundscience.blogspot.ca/2006/06/dangers-of-fluoride-in-toothpaste.html
- Dangers of Fluoride in Toothpaste and Water – http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/health-hazards-to-know-about/where-the-yellow-went
- Use of Fluoride in drinking water and toothpaste is causing dental fluorosis. what is Dental fluorosis? – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_fluorosis
- Toothpaste And Mouth Sores – http://www.sideeffectsupport.com/survivors-caregivers/your-toothpaste-and-mouth-sores.html
- What Ingredients in toothpaste Can Cause Oral Discomfort? – http://helpmehygienist.com/can-toothpaste-make-your-mouth-sore/
Organisations to follow, books to read and videos to watch:
- The Fluoride Action Network (FAN) seeks to broaden awareness about the toxicity of fluoride compounds among citizens, scientists, and policymakers. – http://www.fluoridealert.org/
- Few Videos to watch and books to read:
- Shocking fluoride documentary ‘The Fluoride Deception’: http://bit.ly/K0KLja
- Book ‘The Case against Fluoride’: http://amzn.to/1b0ALp7
- Drinking water is now fluoridated in many countries, including the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, United Kingdom, Ireland, Spain, Turkey, Italy, India and Chili. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoridation_by_country
- Documentary on The Dangers of Fluoride – http://bit.ly/15SWUil
- Use herbal tooth Paste: Green, herbal and sustainable oral products to be used. An article to read on how to remineralize Teeth Naturally: http://wellnessmama.com/3650/how-to-remineralize-teeth-naturally/
- Install Water filter in home – Aquasana AQ-4000 Drinking Water System
Products in Market to address this problem:
There are many products in the market, claim to be green and herbal but they are not 100% green. It’s true that most of them do not use Fluoride as a paste base nevertheless they are still using other foaming agents such as sodium lauryl sulfate or SLS. They are marketing their brand as “Natural” but they still contain some of the ingredients listed above.
On the other hand Earthpaste uses only few ingredient such as Purified Water, Redmond Clay, Xylitol, Essential Oil (Cinnamon, Wintergreen or Peppermint), Real Salt, Tea Tree Essential Oil, Menthol (Only in the Wintergreen & Peppermint varieties).
Where to buy:
In Canada you can order online from amazon.ca